Monday, October 13, 2008

Family Home Evening

Tonight we had a fun Family Home Evening! (Not that all our Family Home Evenings aren't fun, it's just that this one was different!) The Kaufman's came over to share it with us. We started out by singing "Jesus Once Was A Little Child" and then we talked about what Jesus' life might have been like when he was the same age as each of the kids. We talked about how he would have played with his friends, helped Joseph in the workshop and learned how to be a carpenter, and helped his mom in the house with his younger brothers and sisters.

Then we talked about what Jesus might have eaten. We tried to remember all the references about food that we could from the Bible -- bread, fish, honey, seeds, milk, fruits, etc..

Then the kids got to try some of the foods that we had talked about. I had prepared a tray with figs, dates, smoked fish, almonds, homemade cheese, a pomegranate, bread and honey. They also got a cup of lukewarm water. Jesus didn't have a refrigerator after all. Anyway, the kids tried the foods. Some they liked and some they didn't, but it was a neat experience for them to see what people ate long before the days of artificial preservatives and ingredients.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hiya Lora...

I can't find your email address. I need a few moms to help me out on Monday, the 27th to help count fundraiser money at Liberty. Email me at kerriem at kermantel dot net and let me know if you can help me out. I don't know the exact time yet.

Kerrie

skye said...

Thanks for letting us join you for FHE. I wish my kids had actually tried some of the different foods, but since I can't even get them to eat regular food, I'm not surprised they wouldn't even try. I liked them all though, so thanks!