Friday, August 29, 2008

Excited!

The Letters to the Editor only allow you 200 words, so I thought I would post about this! I am not one to wear my politics on my sleeve, but often that is what a blog is for, right?!

I feel very strongly about my right and responsibility to vote! Yet I have had little to be excited about in the political process for a long time. For many years I feel that our choice for president has been a vote for the lesser of two evils. I was feeling that way about this election as well. . . until today!

I am so excited that Senator McCain has chosen Alaska's Governor Sarah Palin to be his running mate!

For the first time in this and many elections I am excited and wanting to talk to people about what is happening. I called my mother, who lives in Alaska, this morning and we had a great talk about Sarah Palin. I have not lived in Alaska since before Palin was elected, so I am not familiar with her as a politician. My mother said that she is sad that Palin could be the VP only because that would mean that Alaska would lose her as it's governor. She really likes Governor Palin and all that she has done for the state of Alaska and it's citizens. Governor Palin has an 88% approval rating in her state!

Now, I am not so naive as to believe that there were not some powerful politically strategic reasons that McCain chose her -- the fact that she is female may draw voters who are still upset that Hillary didn't win, the fact that she is pro-drilling fits with his energy plan, to name two -- but the fact that he chose her makes me happy in two ways. One, McCain had the gumption to put a woman on the ticket and not play it safe with more of the usual. Two, she is really a great person. When I heard that she was the choice, I was excited just because she was from Alaska, and how cool is that! Then I heard her speak! She is genuine and sincere and that is missing from so many of our politicians today and it has made most of us very cynical about what we hear coming out of their mouths. So far, from what I have seen and heard, all that she says about herself can be backed up with reality. I like that! Her acceptance speech blew me away and I am excited to see where she can go from here!

For the first time in a long time, I can't wait for November 4th!!!

-Lora

Read an article about Sarah Palin HERE.

No comments: