Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Blogging my weight loss journey - Food

Remember back a year or so ago and I was blogging my weight loss journey? Well, it's still a journey, and I am still working on it. I managed to gain back all my weight, and then some. I started again in October 2009, when my friend Camille introduced me to Body for LIFE. It was the perfect time and the perfect program. I also continued to do my favorite Turbo Jam workouts! I worked hard for eight months and lost 31 lbs. I was getting so frustrated, because for a long time I was only losing 2 lbs a month, and sometimes no lbs a month. I was trying so hard and having so little to show for it! Other people I know were losing weight like crazy and I was just sitting there.......

So, I decided to take a week break from dieting and exercise and see if it would shock my body into dropping the weight again. Well, that week has turned into a month and a little more. I have gained back at least 8 lbs and I have got to get my act together and get back on track.

There have been several things that have helped to do that. First, I was reading my friend Diana's blog and she was posting pictures of the food she was eating, and I thought, if I have to take a photo of the food I eat, then I will be accountable for what I eat! Great idea! So here is a few photos of the food I have been eating this week so far:


My staple breakfast - Oatmeal with PB2 peanut butter powder and dried blueberries


Lunch - Chicken and bean burrito (with lots of veggies) and watermelon


This is the protein powder I use for between meal shakes


Dinner - Lean ground beef and cheese tortellini with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese, green beans with butter sprinkles and pepper, and garlic bread on a whole wheat sandwich slim


There were also a few things that I found and saw that really hit me. First, was a quote from Chalene Johnson (the creator of Turbo Jam - I follow her on Twitter @chalenejohnson) where she said, "Take joy in being who you are. God doesn't make mistakes, but we sometimes mistreat what he has made."

That was a serious reminder of what I have been doing. Mistreating my body. I need to stop doing that!! I deserve to take better care of myself!

Next, I saw a part of a Conference talk by Sister Julie B. Beck (I love her!!). She said, ". . .It is not possible to make real change all by ourselves. Our own willpower and our own good intentions are not good enough. When we make mistakes or choose poorly, we must have the help of our Savior to get back on track." That is exactly the wording I use! Get back on track! I know I can't do it myself. I have proven that many times over the years. I just have to figure out how to get help in the right way. I need to rely more on the help of others and not just plod along by myself.

Last was another quote from Chalene Johnson: "You don't have to be perfect. Just don't give yourself the option to not finish what you started."

That's the thing. I need to not give myself that option. I don't want to be out of shape. I don't care about being skinny and whatever, I want to be healthy and fit. That is what I am working towards. And I am not giving myself to option to quit!

2 comments:

camfox said...

You go Lora! What motivation! I'm behind you all the way. I think you're doing really well. I like the the one about not giving yourself the option to not finish what you started. That's my favorite. I love you, you know.

Austin Lovelys said...

You are doing an AWESOME job Lora! I am so proud of you!! You are looking great and hey we are all in this together! I loved your quotes! So inspirational! I loved you foodie pictures. Yum! Gives me ideas of what to eat :)