Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Marking the scriptures

Sometimes we get so used to things that we hardly even notice that they are there any more.  Such are the marks in my scriptures.

This morning while I was reading my scriptures, I was reminded of a funny thing that happened many years ago.  It jumped out at me so strongly that I said "I have to blog about this!!"

When Amanda was about two years old, she watched me as I studied and marked my scriptures.  One day I came in and found her with my scriptures and a black pen, and she was "marking my scriptures"!





Initially, I was horrified, but how could I get mad at her.  She was doing something that I had modeled for her to do.  (Just not in MY scriptures!! D-oh!!)  She was helping me to mark my scriptures.

When I see these scribbles in my scriptures it makes me laugh and reminds me how much our children watch us closely and learn from the things that we do.

Now that Amanda is in Seminary she has asked me questions about marking something in her scriptures and I am glad that I set a good example to her of making the scriptures your own.  HER own. : )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally remember those scripture marks (yours not Amanda's). You are an inspiration to me and have been for a long time. I might have to get some tips on my markings too. :)

Miss ya!!!