Monday, August 29, 2011

Canning Pickles


I love this cartoon! (by Pat Bagley)

I had my first experience canning today! Thankfully I started with something fairly easy so I wasn't overwhelmed and never wanted to do it again. We had a class in Relief Society about Pickling and I was very excited to try it!



I got all the ingredients together and this morning I cut up cucumbers and onions and put them in a bowl with a sweet pepper and salt and let them sit for three hours.



I drained the cucumbers/onions and put them in the brine to cook.



When they were hot, I put them in the jars and put the lids on. I boiled them for 10 minutes to seal them.



VoilĂ !! I have beautiful jars of Bread & Butter pickles. They are delicious!!


2 comments:

Austin Lovelys said...

great Job Lora :) whoo hoo!

camfox said...

awesome! You're such a go-getter Lora! Way to go.