Friday, September 14, 2007

My Letter to the Editor

'Each voter's voice'
09/14/07 The Fresno Bee

It is so frustrating to watch Democrats and Republicans bicker, their arguments with each other changing depending on what benefits them the most.

Right now Democrats are trying to block a ballot proposal that would allow individual election districts to award electoral votes to the winner of the district vote. Rest assured that if this initiative were to benefit them rather than possibly hinder them, they would be rattling their sabers on the other side of the fence.

This change to the electoral college system is a long time in coming. What is wrong with letting each voter's voice speak louder than it has in the past? In the 1992 presidential election, I was driving to the polls when it was announced over the radio who the winner was in California. I hadn't even voted yet! How is that making my vote count? How is that letting my voice be heard?

No wonder we have such low voter turnout. At least when I call "American Idol," my individual vote gets counted. It doesn't matter who is bringing this ballot initiative to the table, the important thing is that it is finally there.

Lora Nehring

No comments: